top of page


What county/area does CADA serve? Does CADA help all of Washington State?

CADA provides free advocacy services to any residents of Island County, Washington (Whidbey and Camano Island).

At this time we only can provide ongoing support services to Island County residents only.

If you need to find an agency near you that could support your needs please call The National Domestic Violence Hotline at (800)-799-7233. If you live in a County near Island County, Washington and need resources directly, feel free to call our office at (360)-675-7057 or (360-675)-2232 after hours to get referrals.  

What type of client or person can receive advocacy from CADA?

CADA provides services to any survivors (regardless of age/gender/sexuality/etc.), of domestic violence/abuse, sexual assault/abuse, stalking, elder abuse, childhood sexual assault, etc.


Advocacy is not therapy and should not be a substitute for therapy or counseling.

What is advocacy?

“Advocacy” means that the client meets with an advocate in an individual private session on an on-going basis where the primary focus is the client's safety and developing tools for empowerment and autonomy.

Advocacy supports clients and their feelings and beliefs but also informs clients of their rights and options. 

All services at our agency, including advocacy appointments are always free and confidential. 

What does a CADA advocate do?

CADA advocates provide trauma informed advocacy, support, and resources. This means they provide support and education about issues of domestic and sexual violence. The primary focus is client safety and developing tools for empowerment and autonomy, working with clients to identify their needs, and provide them with information about local service agencies. Advocates also provide support and education about issues of domestic violence and sexual abuse. Advocates also work with clients to identify their needs and provide them with information about and referrals to local service agencies, court and social service agencies. 

Advocates are not here to tell you what you should do; rather they are there to support you.

*Advocacy is NOT a substitute for therapy.*

Advocacy appointments are for support services for Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault/Domestic Abuse/Sexual Abuse/Elder Abuse/Stalking survivors situations only.

We are not paralegals or attorneys, therefore we CANNOT provide legal assistance or advice in any circumstances*

How do I schedule an advocacy appointment and what other details should I know before my appointment?

You may call our office at any time:

Monday - Thursday

9 am (pacific standard time) - 5 pm.


The receptionist will need your first and last name, date of birth and a safe phone number in order to schedule an appointment with an advocate.

The receptionist will also verify you're a resident of Island County before confirming your appointment. Each appointment is 50 minutes long and again free and confidential. These appointments can be in person at our office or over the phone.


If you are in crisis and need to talk to someone right now,

please call our crisis line (360)-675-2232


The National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)-799-7233

to speak to someone. 

Do I have to be 18 to receive CADA services or make an advocacy appointment at CADA?

No, Anyone, regardless of age/gender/sexual orientation, race, etc. can receive services from CADA, IF they're an Island County Resident. 


However, those under the age of 13 must have a parent or guardian over the age of 18 make the appointment for them.

If a caller is 13 years and older, they must make their own appointment, no parent or guardian permission is necessary or allowed if a caller is over the age of 13.

Are CADA services confidential?

Yes, always! The only exception to client confidentiality is that we are by law a mandatory reporting agency.  That means that if a client or caller discloses abuse or neglect of a child or vulnerable adult, or if they are threatening to harm themselves or another person, we would be legally mandated to notify the appropriate agency.

What is domestic violence?

Domestic violence is a pattern of intimidation, assault, coercive control, battery, sexual assault, and/or other abusive behavior perpetrated by an intimate partner or relative against another. This is an epidemic that crosses all cultural barriers. Domestic violence is often accompanied by emotional abuse and controlling behaviors and is a part of a systematic pattern of power and control. The results of domestic violence are not only increasingly more lethal, but also generational. As our children learn behaviors that are abusive and controlling, the incidents of domestic violence can truly last a lifetime.


While every situation is unique and not all abusive relationships look like this, the Domestic Violence Power and Control Wheel below depicts many of the patterns that often occur in abusive relationships.  If you identify with any of these patterns and live in Island County, feel free to call CADA to schedule an appointment to speak with an advocate. 

What is sexual assault?

Sexual assault is any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient. Falling under the definition of sexual assault are sexual activities such as forced sexual intercourse, forcible sodomy, child molestation, incest, fondling, and attempted rape.

Is it considered rape if it's within a marriage?

Yes, sexual assault is any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient. Consent is required for every intimate interaction between partners.

What kind of warning signs would a potential abuser show?

Although there is not a formula that fits each abuser, there are many red flags that abusers have in common. Most importantly, domestic violence centers around one person wanting to have power and control over the other person.


Domestic violence can be physical, but can also be emotional, psychological, financial, sexual, or some combination of those.

If you think you may be in an abusive situation and live in Island County, Washington, please call CADA to speak to an advocate. CADA provides education about specific warning signs and information that may help you identify if domestic violence is a part of your relationship.

What can I do to help a friend/family member that is being abused?

Encourage them to call CADA or an agency in their area if they live outside of Island County. If they aren’t comfortable calling, you can call to speak with an advocate about how you can help.


If the friend or family member needs an appointment with us, they must call on their own to schedule it. We cannot schedule appointments for third party callers calling on behalf of someone else for safety and confidentiality purposes(Unless a parent or guardian is making an appointment for their child below the age of 13 years old)


All calls are confidential.

Does CADA provide services to women only?

No. CADA provides services to women, men, trans or non-binary folks, youth, etc.  CADA understands that abuse can happen to anyone at any point in their life, and we provide services to any person affected by these issues regardless of any cultural identity/age/gender/sexuality/language barrier/etc.

How much do services at CADA cost?

All of CADA services are free.

I have an agency or business and want to advertise your services. Does CADA have brochures or pamphlets or educational posters I can hang up at my business or provide to my clients?

Yes! We have various brochures, informational pamphlets, business cards and posters with discrete tear-a-ways with our information available to anyone who would like them to distribute to their friends/family/clients/etc. Please call our office line to set up a time to pick some up from our main office. 

Where can I get free legal assistance?

A statewide toll-free telephone hotline called CLEAR, Coordinated Legal Education, Advice and Referral, is available Monday-Friday from 9:15 am to 12:15 pm.

Persons needing legal assistance should call 1-888-201-1014. During the phone call you will be screened and evaluated to determine income eligibility for their free service.

Can CADA help someone who does not speak English?

Yes, we can help anyone that does not speak English.  

We do not discriminate. The process we have for helping someone who does not speak English involves the use of phone translators, this is still a confidential way to communicate with us.

Does CADA provide emergency shelter?

Yes. We have a short-term emergency shelter for women and children who have been involved and are fleeing or are in intimate partner domestic violence (I.P.V.). 

As of December 2023, our shelter is at capacity.

We do not have waitlist for new residents.

If you have questions regarding shelter please call our office main line. 

The emergency shelter our agency has access to is NOT a homeless shelter.


We (CADA) shelter for domestic violence related reasons only. For example, someone actively leaving a domestic violence relationship/intimate partner violence qualifies for our shelter. 

If you need resources for homeless shelters on Whidbey Island visit:






What if my question is still not answered?

You can look at our Get Informed tab or call CADA and we can help (360)-675-7057. If it is not safe to call, please send a chat on this webpage located in the bottom right of your screen or email 

*Chats on our website chat box and emails are reviewed by staff on a daily, but we cannot guarantee prompt responses

If you need an answer to your question(s) or are in crisis, please call our office line or crisis line.*

Head Injury 1.jpg
Head Injury.jpg
bottom of page